Chicagoland’s Root Collar Excavation Specialists
Our certified arborists will be able to tell if your tree’s health will be negatively impacted due to the disruption of nutrients to the root system.
This lack of nutrients stresses the tree and could result in insect and disease infestation, girdling roots, or even death.
A healthy tree will grow roots that reach away from the stem and extend where needed to absorb nutrients and moisture from the soil around it.
Proper exposure of the trees’ root flare is essential. The root flare is the area were the trunk ends and the roots begin and should be at ground level but above the surface.
When Do I Need Root Collar Excavation?
There are a quite a few reasons we would recommend a root collar excavation for your trees. The most common being:
- Trees which were planted too deeply
- Trees planted in a hole too narrow or in a container
- Trees with excessive mulch piled around the trunk
- Trees with the soil heavily compacted around the trunk
If any of these issues are affecting your trees, it’s time to get a free inspection from Chicagoland’s root collar excavation specialists.
Our Root Collar Excavation Process
- We’ll use an air spade to loosen the soil and decrease compaction around the tree trunk
- We’ll perform any necessary root pruning
- We’ll add nutrients and missing organic material into the soil
- Next, we’ll add 2-3″ of mulch around the tree base
- Finally, we’ll water the area to replace lost soil moisture